Student and New Professional Resources to Author Columns
Online, the online supplement to ASPA’s quarterly magazine, publishes new articles, data and research twice every week. I hope you enjoy reading this digest—a free member benefit!—and have considered submitting your own article for publication.
Why should you be interested in becoming a PA TIMES author?
- This is a great opportunity to get involved! When you are published in PA TIMES, you are part of the ASPA and public administration community. If you are looking to broaden you public administration network, publishing in PA TIMES can help!
- It is a great way to strengthen your writing. Abiding by the editorial guidelines and writing short, concise articles for an online audience will help you fine-tune your style, grammar and tone of voice, which will translate into many other aspects of your life.
- You have a valid perspective to share! ASPA’s membership is broad and diverse and our student members contribute to the perspectives already being shared by other public administrators. Have confidence and inject your voice into the broader conversation.
- It is a resume booster! No matter your professional status, adding a publication to your CV is always helpful—and may be a conversation-starter in the future!
Ready to get started? Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Write what you know. The editorial calendar is here ; pick a topic that fits within your professional expertise.
- Remember your audience. PA TIMES Online caters to a digital audience and, as such, requires a lighter tone of voice. While the research and data you present should conform to publication criteria, your word choice, tone and presentation style should be concise, friendly and more relaxed to fit the average online reader.
- Visuals bring your article to life! As you prepare your article, please keep in mind appropriate visuals and provide them to the PA TIMES team to use when the article is posted.
- Make sure you edit and proofread your final submission! ASPA’s editorial staff review each published article and edit for grammar, tone and consistency but do not rewrite submissions. We will only accept articles that are ready for publication. Review the PA TIMES Guidelines to guide your editing and formatting process.
- Make sure you have cited your sources appropriately. Review the guidelines for appropriate sourcing notations.
The PA TIMES editorial staff maintain a rolling calendar of authors who provide articles on a regular basis throughout the year but we are always looking for new voices. If you would like to be one of them, contact us
and we will be happy to work with you!