Headed into its 15th year, ASPA's Founders' Fellows program supports the next generation of public service leaders through a series of professional development opportunities. The Fellows attend and present at the Annual Conference on a subject matter paper on an issue related to their scholarship or work, which is also published in PA TIMES Online
if they wish.
Open to graduate students as well as new professionals in the first three years of their public service career, this program is geared toward accelerating careers of promising, rising stars in the discipline. This is ASPA's most competitive Fellowship program of the year and provides results that could last throughout your career.
"The Founders' Fellows experience has given me an unrivaled
opportunity to build strong relationships in public administration. Our
diverse backgrounds paved the way for a beneficial dialogue and
outstanding exchange of ideas."
- Ana-Maria Dimand, Florida International University, 2018 Founders' Fellow and 2019-2020 ASPA Student Representative
2022 Founders' Fellows Program
ASPA is accepting nominations for its 2022 Founders' Fellows program! The Founders' Fellows program recognizes the exceptional accomplishments and future potential of the next generation of public servants—in the academic and/or practitioner communities. The 2022 class will demonstrate exceptional academic achievement and professional promise.
Accepted Fellows receive the following benefits:
- Guaranteed acceptance to present their research as part of ASPA's 2022
Annual Conference, March 18-22 in Jacksonville, Florida, including
complimentary registration and hotel room
- A year-long mentorship with a senior mentor in the discipline, matched with each Fellow based on academic and professional interests
- Tailored professional improvement webinars that address their specific educational and professional needs
A completed application will include:
- Contact information and relevant biographical details
- An outline of career and research interests
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- A personal statement
- An analytical essay (details are provided within the application form)
- A letter of recommendation from your nominator
Candidates must be ASPA members in good standing and submit a letter of recommendation from an ASPA member in good standing to qualify for the program.
(Should you be accepted into the program, you are required to maintain your ASPA membership for the entirety of your Founders' Fellow year.)
All applications are due to ASPA by November 30, 2021.
Note: If you are interested in submitting a presentation proposal for the annual conference, please make sure to do so in time for the October 29 deadline. ASPA staff will ensure those accepted for the Founders' Fellows program are placed within the conference program appropriately later this fall. Please contact us with any questions.
Support the Founders' Fellows Program
Are you or your university interested in supporting this year's class of Founders' Fellows? Contact us to find out more!
"I think the program is an excellent way to link practitioners and academics, which I feel is one of the most important aspects of ASPA."
- Peter Federman, University of Kansas, 2015 Founders' Fellow