In 2006, ASPA launched the Founders’ Fellows program, aimed at supporting the next generation of public service leaders through a series of professional development opportunities. The Fellows attend and present at the Annual Conference on a subject matter paper on an issue related to their scholarship or work, which is also published in PA TIMES Online
if they wish to do so.
Initially open to graduate students, the Founders' Fellows program has expanded to include new professionals in the first three years of their public service career. This year's application process yielded the largest number of candidates since the program's inception, an exceptionally strong and qualified pool that will serve the discipline well in the years to come. 2018 Fellows will partake in a year of tailored webinars and a mentoring program.
2019 Founders' Fellows Program Application Period Open
ASPA is now accepting applications for the 2019 class of Founders' Fellows. All applications are due by Oct. 12, 2018 at midnight, ET.
Please contact ASPA manager of strategic relations Garret Bonosky
with any questions.
A completed application will include:
- An application information form
- A list of career and research interests
- A resume or CV
- A personal statement
- An essay (more details are provided in the online application)
- A recommendation letter from an ASPA members in good standing
- All applicants must be a member in good standing and
- Be a currently enrolled student (Master's or doctoral level) or a new professional (within three years of having graduated from an academic program)
"The Founders' Fellows experience has given me an unrivaled opportunity to build strong relationships in public administration. Our diverse backgrounds paved the way for a beneficial dialogue and outstanding exchange of ideas."
- Ana-Maria Dimand, Florida International University, 2018 Founders' Fellow
- Complimentary attendance at the Annual Conference, where they present their research
- Complimentary hotel accommodations
- A mentorship with senior mentors who are matched with them based on academic and professional interests
- Tailored professional development webinars that address their specific educational and professional needs
"I think the program is an excellent way to link practitioners and academics, which I feel is one of the most important aspects of ASPA."
- Peter Federman, University of Kansas, 2015 Founders' Fellow